I am available to give talks, workshops, training sessions, and provide articles on how digital games can be used in the language classroom, covering the basics for teachers new to the concept and going into more depth for those who are more familiar with the idea and want to share ideas and best practice.
If you would like me to give a presentation or training session, either in person or online, or you would like me to contribute an article to your publication, please get in touch via the contact page or send me an email.
See below for past presentations I have given on DGBL and for other sessions that are available.
Selected Talks & Webinars
- Promoting language learning through gaming – Presentation given at RSCON4, Oct 2013
- Using games to engage, motivate and educate language learners – webinar given for the British Council, Dec 2013
- Breaking the learning blocks: Minecraft and language learning – presentation given at RSCON5, Jul 2014
- DGBL: Can You Escape? – workshop given as part of the IATEFL LTSIG PCE event, April 2015
- A language teacher’s guide to DGBL – webinar given for IATEFL YLT SIG, Jan 2016
- Games Symposium – a special showcase on game-based language learning co-presented with Dave Gatrell at the Virtual Round Table Web Conference, May 2016
Selected Online Articles & Posts
- How to improve your English skills with computer games – Published on Vocabla, Nov 2013
- Game-Based Learning 1.1: Myths & Mistakes | Game-Based Learning 2.1: How & When | Game-Based Learning 3.1: A learning Walkthrough | Game-Based Learning 4.1: Future Expansions – guest post series for ELTjam, Nov 2013
- Press start to play & learn – Contribution to the iTDİ ‘Games Issue’, Dec 2013
- Getting started with game-based language learning – Published on Edutopia, Oct 2015
- Gamification? Pointless for language learning – Published on Teaching English, Oct 2015
- Language Learning and Minecraft – Published on EFL Magazine, Nov 2015
- Helping Your Students “Escape the Room” – Published in On CALL (TESOL CALL Interest Section Newsletter), Mar 2016
Selected Print Articles
- Play Mobile: Game-based learning with handheld devices – published in TESOL France Teaching Times, Nov 2015
- Learning to play the students’ way – published in ETp, Jan 2016
- Pixelated Circles: 30 Years of Digital Game-based Learning – published in C&Ts (IATEFL YLTSIG Newsletter) Special Pearl Jubilee Edition, April 2016
- Stories of Survival – published in Modern English Teacher, Jan 2017. Also available as a free download in the Modern English Teacher Top Ten e-book.